PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help needed from ATC re: STARs
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2006, 21:26
willadvise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nil defect
Colombo and Male now class A btwn F280-F460 so clearance not required if you are coming in from there. Establishing comms is not good enough your are supposed to get a clearance either through datalink or on HF.
I am still wondering how we knew what you were flying. An ARCW could have happenned a fair way out if you were on A594, NINOB-MERIB-QUINS-PH. If you had planned the STAR we would get the ARCW once you had passed NINOB, approx 612nm from Perth.
Were you asked to "Confirm Assigned Route" otherwise I can't think of anyway we would know that you had planned the STAR until you were within waypoint + 1.
When you say the CAA are you refering to an Australian body (maybe CASA or Airservices Australia, the CAA in Australia was split into these two seperate organisations a few years back). You shouldn't get in trouble for adding good morning onto the end of a message in Aussie airspace.
The practise of diverting around wx without clearance was probably OK when we were giving you 15min and 100nm cross track separation standards. The airlines have pushed for reduced separation in Oceanic areas and so we now have much reduced RNP separation standards. By taking unauthorised wx deviations you are increasing the risk of something going wrong. It doesn't take long to ask via datalink on most occasions we would prefer you to ask. I have passed your query about requesting L and R onto higher powers and someone may give you a response (BTW I wasn't aware of the limitation as we have the ability to clear you L and R in the same uplink so we just assumed you would have had the corresponding downlink)

Cheers
WA