PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily Telegraph Letters
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2006, 21:26
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vecvechookattack
We are now well into page 2 of this threead and not yet is there 1 argument to counter his claims.... all post so far are making fun of him, pointing out where he lives....but not one post is countering his argument.... Is that because he is correct and we are too ashamed to admit it ?
I refer to my post of this time last night.

I would add the further detail that CAS may be delivered using LGB/GPS guidance from high level but there are difficulties. If the guidance fails the weapon can miss by miles, literally. If the troops as danger-close you cannot take the risk that the coordinates may be inaccurate or weapons unserviceable.

A big bomb may not deliver the weapons effect that you want. HE or KE cannon or rocket may well be less dangerous to own troops and apply the correct level of force to the target.

To deliver HE or KE rounds involves getting down in to the weeds. Rolling in from 45 degrees and at high speed does not avoid the delivery aircraft getting down in the weeds. A high approach may be safe but a low departure may be needed. Either way low flying skills are needed.

AD aircraft also need to practise low level intercepts against the whole range of aircraft types for obvious reasons - Mathius Rust for example.

How's that?