PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cleared Visual Approach....
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2006, 12:02
No Further Requirements

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regards Visual Approaches at night, it is clearly spelt out in AIP?MATS that we, as ATC, must use the 'once established in the circling area/on the VASIS cleared visual approach.' Not an option for us not to use it, it's there in black and white.

APMR - not to be picky, but you are saying that the pilots should know what to do for a VSA at night, and you then get the R/T incorrect (cleared visual approach not make visual approach). Small error, I know, but can the crew not make a small error in their conduct of a visual approach? We all make mistakes, but to try and prevent one is a good thing.

A visual approach durng the day can be authorised inside 30NM. One of the aircrew responsibilities is to maintain the aircraft above the CTA steps. The amount of times I have, as an approach controller, seen all manner of aircraft descend under the steps would amaze you. For me, the added arse covering of 'once established in the circling area' gives me a bit more of a warm-fuzzy when it comes to terrain and night time. These two items have been the cause of much grief to ATC and aircrew alike.

I wonder how how bretheren in other parts of the world do it?
Cheers all,
NFR.