PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cleared Visual Approach....
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2006, 05:52
Counter-rotation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would hope that an Eastern crew would know what's expected/required of them WRT AIPs etc.

APMR - I nearly agree, there might need to be a CCT joining instruction following "cleared visual approach" (and I assume that a runway has been specified already - if not that's required also, and will come with the CCT join instruction, unless it is bleeding obvious like one runway etc.).

Now back to the original question...

As I understand it -
"Cleared visual approch" has tracking and descent considerations.

WRT to tracking, you are expected to continue on cleared track (in this example, the STAR) until 5nm by day, or until inside the circling area by night. Remember there may be circling restrictions...

All that stuff about aligned w/ centreline within 5nm (7nm ILS Rwy) and above slope on the visual slope aids, or 10nm established LLZ indicating not below GS (14nm SY) etc. etc. tells you when you're allowed to continue descent through MSA or last radar level or DME/GPS step or approach minima etc. at night. You can of course overfly and circle, in the circling area, descending with normal rates of descent at normal circuit spacing for the a/c (this is circling, by definition). By day you can run your descent much less rigourously (but a good pilot wouldn't). You are allowed to go as low as you want without committing "low-flying" (there is a CAR ref. for that). So that covers descent on a visual approach...

If you get "cancel STAR" with your visual approach you will get a subsequent tracking instruction (if you don't, I'd certainly ask for one, unless it was exceedingly obvious - this can be the case).

Happy to be corrected!
CR.