PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 412
Thread: Bell 412
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2006, 03:07
tribal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oracle, I think you and I have a very similar job, and you add a wealth of knowledge in your threads.
Now let me be more specific with the right quartering tailwind takeoff. Ok as I said earlier, No underslung loads, Im talking 11,900 pounds, Internal load,temps 30+.
I have found at offshore facilities, where due to obstructions nearby or in the takeoff flight path, that an into wind takeoff is either precluded or not the best option. Now I know your thinking, drop the weight, however its not necessary in every case. By turning the aircraft, (to the left, ideally for tail rotor effectiveness) and placing the wind in your back right pocket, hover power (MTq) will considerably reduce, 5 - 10%.
Try this without effecting the takeoff and you will see that it is true.
To carry out the takeoff, this allows you to clear the deck edge gaining more height over airspeed in that critical phase....ie without fear of overtorque , and allowing safe passage for the tail. Now it is true that once the deck is cleared you will need to make a transition to gaining airspeed, so to nullify the effect of a larger forward cyclic adding to torque required, you may check collective down a touch ( Now I mean, check it , not drop it, Im talking 1/4 of an inch) You will get more dropdown height for sure, you can re-evaluate your takeoff decision point, depending on height available, and airspeed. Or more correctly your judged ditch/fly away point. To my way of thinking getting off the deck at maximum power is the worst part of exposure in the event of failure.
The point was, why does the aircraft use a lot less Mast torque in a right quartering downwind while heavy in the hover? I will add that although I know 3 pilots who also use this technique occasionally, I do not teach the technique to those new to the 412, but have added it here so for those of you who have a lot of time on this aircraft to look at it as an option and see for yourselves. I dont know why aerodynamically it works.
Thanks for your input fellow drivers, it makes interesting and valuable reading.