PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily Telegraph Letters
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2006, 21:19
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Main Route Low Level Corridor was established to replace the 3 Bomber Command low level routes. The route ran from near Dover clockwise round the UK to Wainfleet and Holbeach. It was about 3 miles wide and was essentially formed so that the V-bombers, with relatively poor cockpit visibility, could fly a deconflicted route. The route had a number of entry and exit points and also link routes to allow a short cut across country.

You would book in to an EP and there would then be a 10 minute interval until the next aircraft could book in. Around the route crews would try and track within 1.5 miles of the centreline and maintain timing to +/- 3 minutes. The more heavily used portions were those terminating at a bombplot. Entering in Wales would pass through Jurby for a practice attack or West Freugh for a simulated one. Further north, Gernish, near Benbecula, then Ouston, Lindholme and finally Tumby. The south coast route in to Devon bombplot was less popular.

With the demise of the Vulcan this strict regulation was not needed. For tactical aircraft it was particularly limiting.

To return to the UK LL Motorway would both annoy the people under the corridor and reduce the training value to practically nil.