PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help needed from ATC re: STARs
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2006, 16:08
Nil defects

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Will, that's interesting info.

You were reasonably close as we were inbound Perth but in a B777 and from the North-West so definitely not south of 45 South. In fact, as you know the Australian FIR out in that direction extends to almost Columbo.

Male' airspace is Class G and Columbo is A/G so presumably G near the FIR boundary but haven't actually been able to determine what it is.

At the time we got a CPDLC message to remove the arrival we were already well inside Australian airspace and presumably already had a route clearance, so I am still mystified why we had to do that. I will add as before though that it doesn`t seem to occur now - has the software been upgraded?

On another issue with CPDLC, whilst you're here-
We have had many non-compliance infringements for such heinous offences as adding "Good Morning" onto a CPDLC position report. I would go as far as to say some guys would rather use HF these days, to make a request, than run the risk of a note from the CAA for any non-standard use. HF might be taped but every word you utter is not printed out for some imbecile in the office to ring you up three weeks later. Why are the CAA so pedantic about this. Some places like Calcutta actually send you a "Good Morning"when you log on. It is the only nice thing about Calcutta but makes a pleasant change from the stress in Australian FIR's.

One more question: If you are entering Australian FIR from Class G (eg Columbo) and make the standard Log on 20 mins before the boundary and send a position report and make a Selcal Check on HF, are you required to send a Clearance request as well or can one assume that the logon and position report are sufficient.

I know it is progress that ADS now provides you with every aircraft's exact postion but in some regards it was far more relaxing pre ADS when you could fly across the Indian Ocean, avoiding buildups as you see fit without having to request Diversions left and right every ten minutes.

That is also a limitation of the CPDLC Route Request page. You can`t request 20 miles left AND right of TR except by making two clearance requests. Or is it acceptable to make one request say for L20 and add also R20 in the free text section with that request? What would you prefer?

I haven`t taken this up with our procedures people but probably should have. The effort to get the wheels turning is beyond my interest these days.

Thanks for the feedback - and I am happy you can't see all of Route 1!