PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 20:40
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TwinAisle
CWL suffers from not getting the Go base, years back. That was a pretty close call by all accounts, and the situation could easily have been reversed.
TwinAisle

Interesting point you make about the current situation on Severnside had Go (what a superb airline - I used them several times) gone to CWL instead of BRS.

I have Barbara Cassani's excellent book on Go and she devotes a chapter to the Bristol set-up. Forgive me if you have read it.

In brief summary, when they decided they wanted a second base to complement Stansted (in fact, they were going to open a new base every year) they cast their net all over Europe. The short list for the first new base became BRS, EMA, NCL and EDI/GLA.

The main points that swung the decision in BRS's favour were the perceived quality of its top management and the fact that the catchment area was "along the wealthy and populous Thames valley corridor and the West Country was full of well-off older people with time to spare."

She went on to say that "the perfectly formed airport was a joy to deal with ..........because John (Parkin, the then MD) and his management had grasped the potential for this prosperous segment of Britain."

This confirms, although being in the business you will know far better than me, what a top-quality senior management can bring to an airport.

Once BRS got the base there was no way such a close neighbour as CWL would get one too, and the situation would have applied in reverse.

BTW, to me your full post concerning CWL's future makes absolute common sense.