PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British European and BHD
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2001, 17:09
Raw Data

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

keepitlit: leaving aside your obvious loyalty to BMI, you miss the main point- yields and yield management. It matters little how full the aircraft are if the yields aren't there- just ask Go or Ryanair about that on the Scotland-Dublin routes.

Now it is absolutely obvious that most companies are haemorrhaging money at the moment, hence the recent spate of layoffs and aircraft withdrawals. Unfortunately, BMI fall into that category, and clearly more so than most as recent events bear out. I say that with absolutely no happiness whatsoever, I have been on the receiving end of company downsizing and bankruptcy a couple of times and I know exactly what it feels like. Your previous post where you mentioned "kicking people when they are down" is quite out of order, I was simply stating the facts. If it is worth anything to you, I've been there, I sympathise and if it was within my power to do so, I'd employ all laid off pilots tommorrow morning.

Turning to your point about customers, as I have said I do not represent BE, this is not a Customer Service forum, and the right to say what you think within the established rules is the basis of this forum.

Now, you may think that I shouldn't say anything that could be construed as being arguable by a passenger. I say that this is a Professional Pilots Rumour Network, where (unfortunately in my opinion) large numbers of pax and journos now check in hoping to get the inside scoop. I know, from the number of emails I have received in the last couple of days, that I am simply saying what most pilots think.

Rule 1 is a myth. Most people instinctively know that, and some of the posts here confirm it by both quote and example. The reason we all have Customer Service departments is because of that- their job is to bridge the gulf between the often-wrong passengers and reality. All CS departments know that many disputes are unwinnable, and that seemingly-normal people can turn into rabid beasts when it comes to complaining.

For example- sitting in SOU some years ago, we delayed departure as EDI, GLA, ABZ etc were all 200m in fog. I was accosted by a pax who had been on the phone to Bracknell, and he informed me that the wx was fine and that I should stop *^@~ing about and get on with it. By Rule 1, I should therefore immediately depart- but we all know that Rule 1 is nonsense. There was no easy way to reach agreement with this person; he was, as many pax are, completely unreasonable and quite ignorant of the basics of aviation (although he thought he was an expert).

Another example- just last week, a pax refused to sit down because he couldn't have the seat he wanted (due to a computer outage in check-in). By Rule 1, we would have been delayed for an eternity sorting out and would have missed our slot. In fact, he was told to sit down or get off- which met with hearty applause from the other 109 pax who were being delayed. Try applying Rule 1 in that situation.

It is important to realise that oft-quoted, pithy statements do not necessarily constitute reality. It is also worthy of note how many people that bleat on about Rule 1 are guilty of breaking it.

The other thing you perhaps need to realise is that often, people on PPRuNe are not who they seem. There can be layers upon layers of deceit and subterfuge, and sometimes people who claim to be one thing (ie a professional pilot) are actually another (ie the press)- hence the big red warning. Sometimes, it turns out to be a colleague on a point-scoring exercise.

In the case at hand (assuming you believe all that has been posted), the business had already been lost, and the subsequent threats regarding employees and suppliers are childish in the extreme and represent poor business judgement, as other have noted.

Others have already questioned the veracity of friend Thesaurus. I hope he can furnish the requested details so that we can check the facts, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't really want to say any more on the subject, on this thread, as it has drifted way too far off topic. Email me if you want to continue the discussion.