PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after EK
Thread: Life after EK
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2006, 15:03
Big Bald One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifes a Bit## and then......

The topic of DECs has been the "petrol for many a bonfire" it gets really hot really quickly!

It is , has been and will always be really pi## poor to be on the receiveing end of the issue but in reality there is nothing that can be done to stop management making unpleasant policy for some.

There is only one way to mitigate the bad feeling, to give all who feel up to the job a shot at the course.

In an ideal world it would be possible, no budget constraints , lack of sim time etc etc but there is no such thing as an ideal world.

In one operator some years ago the option was there for SFOs who had the requirements / hours , but felt to be not ready by the trainers, to insist on getting a shot at command...... the rider was if they failed they would not be given another go........ever. Harsh but fair or maybe not?

I my 20 yrs in the lhs a very general rule has grown by itself( and don't shoot the messenger boys!) there are guys who scream blue murder when they get the hours "Where is MY command?!" and guys who get on do the job of being a really pro FO and gently ask to be concidered when posts become available.

Who would you give the job to?

keep it safe.
BBO