PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MINIMUM zero fuel weight
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2006, 07:59
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Minimum flight weight I believe I understand. Is this the lowest weight for which certificated performance data have been developed? Perhaps due to flight control effectiveness or other considerations related to the lower performance speeds associated with lower weights. The minimum flight weight for the aircraft I currently fly is about 90% of it's BOW, so was probably only an issue when it was ferried from the factory to the completion center for outfitting. Or if it were converted to a freighter.

I have never before heard of a "minimum zero fuel weight" limitation. Without any wish to oversimplify, I must still ask whether it is possible that this limitation may be applied for the same reason as a "maximum zero fuel weight" limitation, but in the opposite sense? Could there be a structural reason for this limitation as there is with Max ZFW? Suppose full wing fuel were assumed with too little weight in the fuselage between the wings. Might the structures require a minimum weight be carried in the fuselage with wings full in much the same way that a maximum weight to be carried in the fuselage is established with zero fuel?

Comments?

Best regards,

Westhawk