PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The right camera
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2006, 16:07
Duxford_Eagles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conan, if you consider it less risky for some minimum wage ex burger-flipper to do a sensor cleaning job that you could easily do yourself then I think you're chucking money away. The risks of cleaning your sensor are absolutely minimal and I've only heard of one problem that's happened from anyone doing their own cleaning (a mate knocked the power off whilst cleaning and trashed his shutter).

Lots of people have now realised that it's easy to do and you usually get better results than "professional" cleaning. The only time I've had a "professional" sensor clean done I had to send it back several times because it simply wasn't clean, much to the annoyance of the lab, but they were obviously happy to settle for a lower standard than I was. Every DSLR I've owned has come with factory installed dust so it's a simple fact of life to get the sensor wand out and give it a sweep. Using pre-made swabs is a waste of money, it's far more cost effective (and controllable) to use a spatula - see This site for instructions.

I took the Hoya Pro UV filters off all my lenses last year and I'm far happier with the results after doing so.