PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic SYDNEY Base........ I got it
Old 29th Sep 2006, 04:05
flitegirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1niteinbkk
Well hopefully in the future - if the Australian Government implements an Open Skies policy - so other airlines can have 5th/6th Freedom Flights - then there may be more of a need for SYD Based Crew - from those other airlines.

It'll be nice to still be living in a wonderful place like Australia and having a dream job at the same time for an international airline - other than one with a Kangaroo on it.
1nite - there's not really anything stopping overseas based airlines basing crew in Australia. As you said, Lauda has in the past. It's more a case of economics. In the Lauda case it wasn't worth-while maintaining the base for a daily flight. That's despite them paying their poor crew absolute peanuts. Do you really want more foreign airlines basing crew here and reducing the wages and conditions cabin crew can expect in Australia further and further. It's a ruthless job market out there. (well I guess it's already started with JQ) We should be scared of that not excited. Look at Qantas, they are sending more and more crew jobs off shore. Whilst I realise competition is necessary, we also need to consider protecting our local airlines to some degree. Our competitors are often government owned/protected or in Ch11 bankruptcy. Let's face it, the better our local airlines do, the more likely we will keep our good jobs and live in Australia