PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bumped from BA First in Beijing
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2006, 21:39
BahrainLad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
BahrainLad
Your line of thinking is illogical and commercially naive.
Bumping one person from F is not a potentially minscule impact, as these people are serial travellers and mingle with other F travellers.
Your thinking will provide a short term profit and a long term decline in sales - see Paxboy's comment above.
Nonsense...commercially naive in what way? To be fair, overbooking profiles can sometimes seem like a black art but would you like to tell me how many people get bumped from F on BA on a daily basis?

And would you then like to tell me how many of them pay for their tickets?
And would you then like to tell me how many of them who don't pay for their tickets have influence on their corporations global travel policy?
And would you then like to tell me how many people they can influence (bearing in mind word-of-mouth advertising is only slightly more effective than mass-market brand advertising) with their bad experience with BA?
(Again, bearing in mind, this may have only happened to them once in their travel life)...

Essentially my argument is that "full fare passenger gets bumped from first class" makes a nice headline, but in the realms of real life, this is an isolated ocurrence that, whilst no doubt very upsetting to the individual involved, has very little impact on the commercial viability of the airlne.

However, if you can find another airline that doesn't overbook in F then I would be happy to discuss these matters further.