PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new CAS platform?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2006, 10:31
LateArmLive

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Before we all start designing our great new CAS ac, we should probably remember that all this has kicked off over the comments from ONE pissed off Para about an engagement that happened over a month ago. Up until then I had heard nothing but praise for the work that JFH had been carrying out supporting the troops on the ground. During my time in the Stan I have met many Dutch, US, Canadian, Brit, Australian and other troops who have come over to meet the Harrier pilots where they work in KAF to express their gratitude for what they've done. This is often a very humbling experience as putting a face to the voice you were speaking to on the radio not long ago when they were in harms way, possibly losing colleagues, really brings home to you just what a hellish situation it is on the ground out there.
This is not to say that we are perfect every time. There are times pilots "cannot identify the target" (as the Major said), but sometimes the talk-ons are poor, often the targets are people hiding behind rocks in a desert full of rocks etc etc. But the pilots WILL NOT DROP unless they are certain they have identified the target. This can obviously lead to frustration on the parts of the guys on the ground, but we're limited by ROE and nobody wants to commit fratricide.
Rather than provide a new aircraft out there, how about fitting a decent targeting pod to the jet? As anyone who has worked with TIALD knows, picking out small targets without pinpoint co-ords can be next to impossible. Bring on Litening 3!