PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew incapacitation (Ryanair)
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2006, 15:39
JazzyKex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was passing over the top of this situation while heading to the ocean and as a crew we listened in to the unfolding events until out of range.

I can only imagine the stress levels to a relatively new pilot being put in an incapacitation situation, but from what I heard this chap did an exemplary job. He remained calm throughout the discourse I heard. Initially he did mention potentially diverting to Manchester (which maybe gives more of a clue to his location at the time) but as any of us with experience know, 'nearest suitable' is defined through a combination of factors, not just the geographically closest. Familiarity, and something as simple as having the airfield plates already at your side and having just left knowing the weather and runway in use make a complicated diversion much less likely to end in incident by returning.

From what we heard he seemed well ahead of the game, even informing ATC that he would need help at STN when he arrived due to lack of tiller but could probably manage the RET. A sign a great capacity given the circumstances. (For those using the NUTA he was thinking well ahead!)

Irrespective of weather in Derry given the circumstances I feel he performed superbly. He seemed very aware of all the factors affecting him and made a reasoned decision untimately with a completely successful outcome.

I agree all those non-pilots are entitled to their opinion, but on this day in this circumstance a professional pilot made a decision which everyone benefitted from. There is nothing to question, only commend. I hope this chap continues his career with similary good decision making skills and execution. Ryanair are fortunate to have him in their employ and I hope acknowledge him accordingly.

Last edited by JazzyKex; 26th Sep 2006 at 17:19. Reason: For the first of probably many spelling errors!