PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new CAS platform?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2006, 15:17
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is it that the Defence Industry and the big bosses in the various services are always looking at more and more high tech solutions and yet the wars we end up fighting mostly don't need it?

The UK MOD are spending squillions on Typhoon, Nuc subs with ICBM and on etc when they have yet to actually fight an enemy that is significantly more technologocally advanced than the Viet Cong/NVA.

On the other thread there is umteen pages discussing the rights and wrongs of a complaint from Army Officer under DAILY ATTACK from a bunch of sandle wearing tribesmen with AK47/RPG and sod all else and all that is provided in the way of CAS is a lightweight jet with rocket pods.

I wonder what that Major would give for 3 squadrons of radial engined Skyraiders with their 4 20mm cannons and 8000lbs of other CAS ordinance they were famous for carrying and delivering with spine chilling accuracy...and a loiter time stretching to 8+ hrs.

I am half joking of course...although a Skyraider would be better than a Harrier in this case...I bet the Major and his peers would actually be overjoyed. You're fighting a desert version of the Viet Cong with cold war weapons...any wonder you are taking a kicking.

The US can be slated for much but they seem to always have the more or less right tool for the job and even when the tool aint quite perfect they make up for it by having lots of tools.

The UK/EU (Australia is no different) seem to always be planning and equiping for war against an incredible high tech foe when there just aint any high tech foes around. The high tech, stealthy, pointy things might be a shedload of fun but they rarely get used for their design purpose but more often a pressed into the breach because nothing better is available.

If I was the head occifer in charge of talking to Blair about such things I would be telling him to get on the phone to his mate and order up 5 squadrons of A10 or we pull out of Afghansitan and he can fight it himself.

The Major's primarly responsibility is to his men and the mission...not to worry about the sensibilities of his senior officers or their political leaders...and even less of the protocol of communications.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 26th Sep 2006 at 17:14.