PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bumped from BA First in Beijing
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2006, 13:47
rsoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rmac
rarely cancel a flight at the last minute, if I cannot plan at least a week in advance I am not running my business very well from a strategic view.

I used to cheer people like you (as mentioned I was an erstwhile travel agent) but the sad fact is that there are lot of others (especially in upper class- who mostly seemed to travel on expense accounts) who were the exact opposite. Wants to hold on to duplicate bookings in every possible airline for three days before and after their eventual travel, never bothered to inform if they decide not to travel , etc etc. Imagine the havoc such people create on airline revenues and inventory control? Airlines pay a fortune in GDS (reservation system) costs and an unacceptably high percentage of that comes from fictitious/duplicate bookings. This was also a contributory factor in airlines adopting practices which I would agree are not exactly desirable.

But as I have mentioned many times, like you are keen to ensure that your business does well, the airline managers also have to make sure they run their business equally well - they are also answerable to their shareholders.

Final3Greens mentioned in an earlier post

Flexible tickets (e.g. F and J, even Y) can and do no show with impunity.

Some companies block book seats in anticipation of travel needs and then no show them.

This is 100% true and as long these continue to remain at unacceptable levels you always have situations like the unfortunate one you experienced.

Blame your fellow pax, dont blame the airline! And be a little understanding next time you face a similar situation instead of joining the growing tribe here who blame airline managers for each and every evil in the industry conveniently forgetting the fact that in many cases it was the action of those ranting the loudest who made the situation bad in the first place!

There is another thread in the same forum about "Emirates Marketing Madness" where in there was a a similar rant about Frequent Flyer "victimisation" until someone who could understand what was going on (Globaliser) put things in perspective.

apaddyinuk
Sadly, the bottom line is no longer service but infact profit earning and empire building at BA!

I dont know about empire building, but the former atleast is among the factors helping you retain your job !

Cheers