PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ppl training.
Thread: ppl training.
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2006, 21:58
JP1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK Training

I was seriously considering OBA for my PPL, although the problem was going to be fitting it around my work. I have now decided to train in the UK in a bulldog 120, so not the cheapest UK option.

However, having had a 30 minute flight and afterwards picking up all the study coursework, I think it would have been an extremely tall order to complete the course in 4 weeks in the US let alone 3!

Writing this I am under no illusions that I have to put in a lot of work, both in the air and on the ground to obtain the licence.

I'm not a complete novice to aviation, having spent some time gliding (40hrs), although this was a few years ago. Also I have worked in both Human factors (The RAF IAM, alas no more) and 8 years in Military navigation (GPS INS systems). So a lot of the academic study will not be entirely new.

One worry for me was that if you were to get fatigued early on in an intensive course, with no rest the pressure increases further and hence the fatigue increase to the point where you cannot cope. Think of your first flying lesson, if you haven't mastered some aspect of the lesson, tough, your onto the next lesson until the workload increases and you simply cannot fly the aircraft.

Training in the UK is going to be more relaxed and enjoyable.

So its a trade off between cost and stress!

On another note the reason why I'm training at a higher cost in the bulldog is that its crosswind limit is 35knts and the Cessna 152 15knts. I'm hopeful not many days will be lost to high winds.