PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2006, 19:23
rjmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soundbarviolatr
I'm sorry my friend but to be a member, you must meet the obvious. The mission has to stay focused on the needs of our young, the aspiring, and the career Filipino Airmen in an intolerant society.

Notwithstanding the normal prejudices associated with minorities (as blacks and hispanics have long been accepted in professional capacities in US aviation), Filipinos have a lot more to prove. We are attached to a stigma of being friendly yet underdeveloped islanders good for cheap and reliable blue collar labor as support personnel at best, incapable of commanding more than a dance pole at Clark, a spatula in Saudi or a wrench in the USAF. We have some work cut out for us and it will take time and can only be accomplished by a governing body that we can call our own.

Although we cannot grant you honorary membership, we welcome friends and you are invited to be a part of most of our functions. If you are able, please come to our first BBQ in October. I am impressed, pleased and welcome your interest in helping our mission and vision of breaking the barriers. Thank you.

As for MySpace, please feel free to email me through this website and I would be happy to give you my ID to add on your friend's list for now. We are still in the midst of establishing order and would be more capable of supporting you online as we build our own website.

Effrego Obex,
SBV
Unfortunately, we cannot make it to the event. I have flown with and know several Filipinos in the airline world so perhaps things are changing. I would suggest perhaps that maybe you make a provision for people to join your group even if they are not Filipino.

I know you wish to keep things pure in that respect, but it never hurts to have additional help. OBAP has white members and Women in Aviation has male members. Just realize, in excluding groups you may be limiting your own groups power. I think you should focus on your cause and those that support it rather than the naionality of specific members. Just my bit of advice and two cents. Good Luck!!