PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defending the Harrier - I need ammunition
Old 24th Sep 2006, 16:23
NoseGunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tombstone

I was using "fighter" the way it has been used for about 90 years - I know thats not long enough in the army to be a tradition but not bad for combat aviation. Ie an aircraft whos job it is to shoot down other aircraft. Or to quote wikipedia "A fighter aircraft is a military aircraft designed primarily for attacking other aircraft, as opposed to a bomber, which is designed to attack ground targets, primarily by dropping bombs" Dunno if youre using a different one. Must admit though that the next sentence is "Fighters are comparatively small, fast, and maneuverable" but 2 out of 3 aint bad (Meatloaf said that so it must be true).

I was in no way trying to sell myself or portray myself as Gods gift to aviation (I cant even convince myself of that!), just trying to use actual facts in an argument. Not traditional on PPRuNe, I know, but worth a try, I thought. Having re-read my post maybe I should have also pointed out that I wasn't the best pilot on my course at Valley, either, by a long way! I thought it was worth mentioning that some people choose paths based on other things than "that will make me look good"

To the original poster I apologise for thread creap, but some things I cant let go!