PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capt Refuses To Fly 'unsafe' Onur Air A321!!!
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 17:36
xetroV

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bbus
For sure they won't winn at court.. But as we are speaking about onur and crashes there is one over run correct. So what does this mean? Look around what about crashes Air france 340, klm-panam 747-200 klm, ect. Even qantass has an over run with an 747 so does this mean they are un safe???
The Groningen report identified many serious shortcomings in the Onur Air safety standards: unreliable loading figures, faulty performance calculations, very dubious decisions by the flight crew during the take-off roll (continuing a with a take-off warning sound blaring all the way is really not a good idea), poor CRM... Too bad the dutch incident investigation focussed mainly on governmental issues (supervision of foreign carriers) and on the actual flight deck actions, because I think the flight deck shortcomings may very well have been a sign of higher-level problems elsewhere in the Onur Air organisation.

Since any responsible airline would try learn from these mistakes, I find it highly worrying to see an apparant Onur Air pilot now trying to downplay this nearly fatal incident by diverting the attention to other mishaps by other airlines. Safety begins by acknowledging your own fallibility, and hiding behind others is definitely not a good sign in that respect!

Bbus, I really hope the other 248 pilots at your airline will have a more professional attitude regarding this issue. Or else maybe the problems at Onur Air are more deeply rooted than I suspected.