PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fog in Perth (Part 2)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 03:47
ShockWave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack ,
this discussion about LVP on non approved ILS/Rwys, was and still remains about the fact that it is a big deal. Hence the Mayday call. Mayday calls are not usually used in situations that are classified as "no Biggy"

It was never intended to cast doubts about the QF crew that found themselves in that situation, or the lack of options they had. So Chill!

I do wonder though, how much fuel he will carry next time he heads off in that direction?

I am aware of the QF/Aus fuel policy and use of DPA/PNR points and weather/ fuel requirements so know how this can occure.
My original point about Perth is that it is so far away from any other suitable airport for large Heavy! aircraft that it should be treated differently, ie isolated airport or alternate fuel. That is a decision for your company and its fuel policy or at the last The Captain.

The A330 is a big jet but has many more options available to it than an A340 or 747 or 777 when it comes to diversion possibillities. However, when you arrive with potentially only 30 min of fixed reserve in tanks, your options are pretty limited!

Oh! and as to being trained to the mighty standards of the QF LHS...

The Captains responsibillity (any Captain) is to never let yourself get into the unfortunate position that that crew did.
Remember that! it may help one day.
If you ever, find yourself in a situation where you have to break the rules to survive you are either having a very unlucky day, or you have stuffed up big time.
There are many factors that will have to be investigated about that incident before fingers can be pointed.

Deciding to auto land on a Cat1 ILS given his circumstances on arrival was the easiest decision in the world because he had no options at that time. He/She may well be of the highest standard along with the F/O, but that decision does not demonstrate proof of anything.
How they ended up there however, will be studied very closely.

Factors:
Were they let down by inaccurate, untimely Met services?
Were they pressured into flying with min fuel by a discrimatory fuel monitoring policy?
Were they let down by a flawed fuel policy?
Was there any point that this event could have been avoided enroute?
Were there any other factors like fatigue involved?

Jumping to conclusions about one's decisions or decision making abillities based on few of the facts is usually the domain of management or chip on the shoulder complete tossers. I'm not either.. how about you?

Experience and Rank on PPRUNE means nothing so why jump to conclusions or assumptions. I have probably been training F/Os to be captains for longer than you have been flying, but who really cares ! Stick to the point JR, getting personal is a sign of weakness.

Last edited by ShockWave; 23rd Sep 2006 at 14:17.