PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Casa Have Your Say Forum
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2006, 23:18
pall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dingley (Moorabbin) Forum

After attending the Melbourne "Have Your Say" Forum yesterday I can report.

CASA made a presentation that outlined in detail the complex process of cost recovery they have used to effect cost recovery in 3 phases. Phase 1 is current (commenced 1 Jan, 2006); phase 2 commences 1 July next year; Phase 3 is further on.

The presentation examined in depth the complex process of cost recovery options considered. The feeling portrayed by presenter was that this cost recovery agenda has been handed to CASA as a non negotiable mandate.

After presentations the forum was open for questions and discussion. Very quickly the anger and distress of the GA industry was evident. One speaker made it clear that after the full process of cost recovery was enacted most of the industry participants present would not be there as they would be out of business.

Further discussion ensued about the frailty of GA in Australia. How did CASA believe that such a small number of participants in GA could absorb such cost increases when the whole sector was in such a state of decline?

One speaker suggested a better option was to levy the vast population of airline travellers, domestic and international. A very small levy over this large population would recover costs without crippling GA.

Further discussion about improving efficiency within CASA ensued. The unwillingness of Minister Anderson and his department to respond to correspondence from forum participants was raised. Why wasn't a representative from the minister's department present at the forum?

On a more positive note the setting up of a new industry consultative process was discussed. I will post more detail when I receive the material from the forum via email from CASA.

I found the forum to be helpful with vigorous discussion. The CASA prenters were prepared to listen but made it clear that their hands were tied in that cost recovery was thrust on them by goverment. They were exhorted to take our issues back to government.

I will post again after digesting the material from the forum fwd to me from CASA.