PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortages, News Events, And What Are The Effects On Airline Jobs?
Old 20th Sep 2006, 16:04
Adj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi
as previosuly stated the likes of easyjet need 450 pilots this coming year which is a hell of an amount....a friend of mine has just got through his type rating with them and can't fly as they don't have enough training captains in the fleet as yet!!!
also there are about 2000 qualified pilots in the UK not flying...for many reasons and many backgrounds hence why a lot of companys will still be inundated with applications!
the stats in china and the far easy quote that due to the rapid expansion they require 8000 pilots by the year 2010 and will accept both JAA and FAA licenses (though prefer JAA) but lack the lucrative salaries of the middle east and europe t present.....the people who are likely to move will be experienced pilots and captains......most airlines promote from within so an FO going to SFO and SFO to captain creates availability for a new FO to be employed!
not only this but currently as we speak there are 2 BRAND NEW A319 for easyjet sitting in the hangars unable to fly as they can;t crew them!
pilot shortage....maybe not right now but i would certainly say the future demand is going to be high - my friend got the choice in his GECAT interview to pick between flying easyjet or for BMI - how often does that happen?? for me aand most people any would do!
thanks
adj