PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of Pilots Shortage...
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2006, 00:02
Bendo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Hobson's choice

I got out of the industry after Ansett - too many pilots available at my level (twin IFR Charter) and wise, I thought, to let the dust settle.

I kept instructing about 300 hours/year and I am working in the mining industry earning over $2,000/week for my 40 hours. Yes it is dirty and yes there is shift work... but it is also quite technical in parts and reasonably challenging.

With bu99er-all experience or qualifications I am earning close to that which the Mining Engineers are paid, and I go home each night without worrying about work. It is true for many professions - an old girlfriend is an Elec. Engineer and she designed & certified much of the lighting around the Olympic site in Sydney... AND YET she is paid half the salary of the tradesmen who installed it.

Is there a shortage of experienced pilots? Well after 5 years of applications I am suddenly getting offers of interview with those Regionals I always wanted to fly for. There is nothing about my application that has become more competitive - what other reason than a shortage of experienced drivers?

Will I uproot my family and leave the town that has become home (not to mention the reMUNeration), merely to drive turboprops, on the gamble that it might lead further up the tree? ... go from $120k in the country to $45k in Sydney?

The only reason employers look for an abiding love of flying and aviation in their pilots is so they can continue to push you harder for less money.

To her credit, the cook has said "yes we will go" but is this what a 'real' man would do? Subject his family to near-poverty and the uncertainty that is an aviation "career"? The computer says....

Last edited by Bendo; 19th Sep 2006 at 00:04. Reason: Edited to edit out the DTA's in the FO's wages