PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hkg Atc
Thread: Hkg Atc
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2006, 12:03
uncle4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down HK spacing on final is much tighter .... NOT

Originally Posted by tolosweetpea
If a pilot asks APP or Director at 6 mile final if they should go to tower then that pilot wastes the time of the controller and all the others on the frequency. It is an inane question given that there is probably an aircraft ahead still not landed and others behind. If I'd wanted you to go to TWR then I would have transfered you already. Dealing with unneccessay questions breaks my concentration, interferes with my planned RTF calls, wastes RT time (often in short supply at HK). Please stop asking that particular question. I doubt if my US or European equivalent at a busy APP would be any more polite - it is a silly question.

I do not need to be second guessed by crews as often as happens at HK. All tower can say is 'continue approach' (and give wind and RVR etc) - wind and RVR are available on request from APP or Director and will be given in any case where necessay. A/c don't land any quicker if they are on TWR rather than APP. It is my job to provide appropiate spacing on final - where wake is involved this is also a safety issue.

APP and Director do talk with TWR - if we don't put an a/c over to TWR until late then TWR will be asking us for the a/c and/or issuing landing clearance for APP or Director to pass.

HK spacing on final is much tighter than it used to be (min wake if possible) and the APP or director needs the a/c on frequency longer than before to ensure accuracy. The winds on 25 are as tricky for us as they are for pilots. The choice is go to TWR earlier, fly your own speeds, spend longer in the air holding or on vectors - or - stay with APP or Director until transfered, fly the assigned speeds as ops permit, land earlier.

For 69 - take another vist to ATC if possible with an operational controller and not with someone from an HK ATC office post.

The next most silly question to APP/DEP from crews is 'what speed do you want us to fly' - you will already have been given one by a previous sector (or 'no speed restriction') just keep doing it - HK sector co-ordinate speeds between sectors - if I need to change your assigned speed then I will.

BFN
tolosweetpea
Who says we doing less than 5 nm?? Totally WRONG! Which part of MATC??
You are misleading the flying public!!

STOP DOING LESS THAN 5, until management says YES. Our job in the Tower can be much easier. Sick of APP giving spacing less than minimum wake turbulence ... there may be an accident soon