PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA's a winner! not
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2006, 05:00
congoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand your frustration 3rdbogey but think of it - why is there a move worldwide to extend the retirement age? SAA was 58 then 60 and now 63.
Some countries in Europe and even the States I am told are about to extend it to 65. Most ME and far eastern airlines have a high percentage of western crew. With the rapid expansion of those airlines they simply dont have enough of their own pilots to crew their airlines. That's why this 70hour/simlator nonsense came about. It's NOT a South African inovation as someone has already pointed out.
What gets me is why SAA has to pay for the governments BEE drive. No wonder they cant make a profit. Why doesn't the goverment simply reinstitute the subsidy system like we had years ago? It worked very well.
Those deemed to be deserving had their training costs reimbursed when they achieved the qualification. The banks were happy to grant a loan on that basis. So the student had ample motivation. If he didn't pass then he was liable for repaying the loan. It's time the government picked up the tab for their PD pilots training and not rely on the airlines.