PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of Pilots Shortage...
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2006, 11:27
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I have some news for you....this is as good as it gets.

It has always been the survival of the most bloody minded....note I didn't say smartest, best, or most naturally talented.

Two huge differences between now and 20+ years ago when I was a newly minted CPL?

2/. Lots of jobs everywhere
3/. A place, Pprune, where those less driven can congregate and seek sympathy.

There is a message for those who do not make it in the climate of the last 10 years.

You picked the wrong career. You were possibly a reasonable pilot in all respects but the one that counts...that 'it' factor.

The most fundamentally important part of the 'it' factor is you just don't give up and leave the industry. If job progression is not happening in Australia you go where ever your level of experience dictates...that might mean darkest Africa or PNG and then you just stay there until you break into jets/airlines there...and then you see where that takes you in the world. Family does not intervene nor a new car, nor anything else that distracts....particularly not girlfriends...if they are not with the program they get dumped.

If that is unacceptable on any of the numerous levels things like that could be deemed unacceptable then tough...you didn't want to fly badly enough...you didn't have 'it'.

So move on and see what you do have the 'it' factor for.

Anyone who comes into this industry thinking the only worthwhile job is QF or jets is almost certainly bound for dissappointment if they stay in Australia...it has been ever thus...at least 9 out of 10 people who start out with that goal don't succeed.

I would go as far as to suggest that if you learn to fly to be a Qantas pilot you started with the wrong motivation.

If you think I am being harsh and that you should have been able to get a job flying for QF, VB or whomever just because you meet or exceed their minimum requirements you truly miss the point.