PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of Pilots Shortage...
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2006, 09:25
AllInGoodTime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents for what it is worth!

I have read enough on this forum, received responses from threads I have posted and spoken to friends in the industry to be fairly confident in saying, it is very unlikely that there is ever to be a shortage of Pilots in OZ. There certainly maybe in Asia, and this may take some of the more experience pilots from Oz, but when they are ready to return to Oz they will be lining up at the door of QF, Virgin, J* etc, and those Aust airlines will be more than happy to take on those guys with Jet experience. What I am saying is there will be a cycle of pilots going off shore, get more experience and then get into the Australia airlines when oppotunities exist. Hence, can't really see any shortage here, espeacially for low hour pilots. Not too say that there isn't some movement in the industry, but it always has been and will be cyclical in aviation. I know of med to high hour guys, stuck in GA, or regionals that can't get a look in either here or in Asia. Give it a go by all means, I am all for a healthy industry, I would just hate for people to get unrealistic expectations from what I believe to be slightly inaccurate reporting.

Just a touch of reality, not meaning to be all doom and gloom but some info from my experience. I haven't flown commercially for a couple of years now, but when I last did the company I flew for had 6 base pilots. Out of that 6 only 2 have managed to get into the airlines in OZ and stay in the industry. The other 4 including me are not currently in the industry. Out of that 4 the lowest hours were about the 1000 hr mark, and they highest 4500 hr mark. This is not too say for everyone reading the article in the paper, they shouldn't be positive about it, certainly reads better than saying there is an over supply of pilots. I would just ask all who do read it to Please keep some perspective on the real situation, because I don't think we are near a time where there is a critical shortage.