PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortages, News Events, And What Are The Effects On Airline Jobs?
Old 16th Sep 2006, 23:30
-b-lokie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot shortage...

I want to open this question up to those pilots who have recently finished their flight training and HAVE got a job with a commercial airline company. Is there, in reality and not just on paper, a shortage of pilots. I ask cuz alot of ppl in this forum, replying to another post from a long time ago, are skeptical of it yet I have read numerous articles in newspaper but also pilots at the local airport.
Also, can someone give me a comparison of two Captains, being in a company for equal lengths of time but offset their time frames by like 10 or 20 yrs with respect to their salaries. Are airline pilots really getting paid significantly less compared to like 10 or so years ago? and by how much?
I'm not interested in becoming a pilot because of the money, although attracted if its not true, but I don't want to go out and spend 100,000 on schooling and make no more than 50,000/yr in 10 yrs. I understand there are dues to pay but is being a pilot really worth it if you have that kind of debt looming over you for 20 yrs like a mortgage.

thanks.