PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of Pilots Shortage...
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2006, 09:09
M.25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cunningham
I understand as much as the next person that you don't need straight A's to fly an aircraft, however by maintaining such low educational standards, in comparison to other professions, you really are opening the door up for reduced pay levels. Nurses, teachers, accountants etc have quite consistent and generous packages because they are all required to hold formal and reasonably high education levels before they commence training.
Regardless of the entry criteria, it takes a certain level of intelligence to gain an ATPL and consistently pass the flight checks and renewals. The people that don't know what they are doing don't get too far.
A CPL is only a license to START training for an ATPL. I guess you could call it an educational requirement.
I have met teachers and nurses that would struggle at passing a PPL exam!

ps. Academic qualifications do not dictate your pay scale in any case. I watched a news clip the other day pointing out that the blue collar worker is the new wealthy class. They charge what they want and work when they want. Its all about supply and demand.