PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capt Refuses To Fly 'unsafe' Onur Air A321!!!
Old 16th Sep 2006, 08:41
MD11Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just the opinion of a ground engineer.
I would really like to know what was at fault on this plane. I have occasionally had pilots who refused to accept an aircraft even though I raised a HIL in accordance with the MEL and all applicable procedures, so that from a maintenance point and operational point of view the plane was servicable and legal to fly, because the pilot's opinion did not agree with the approved proceedures. In this case I usually let the chief pilot deal with the ensuing delay, means I will not accept it as maintence delay.
I also had occasional pilots who wanted to tell me how to troubleshoot and repair a problem and in one case refused to accept an airplane because the fault turned out to be caused by some other reason than the pilot imagined (on a B727 a low pressure light illuminated on a center tank boost pump, but only at high altitude. We traced it back to some water in the line connecting the pump output to the pressure switch, installed on the L/H front spar, which would freeze at high altitude and cut off the switch from pump pressure, thus erronously giving a false low pressure indication. The captain insisted that something must block the pump inlet, which to inspect would mean to enter the center tank, which is a major task and not easily doable on the ramp. He refused to accept the plane until we had entered the tank, giving a huge delay).

On the other hand I know from reliable sources in Turkey that there exist black lists for engineers and an engineer who grounds aircraft, no matter how justified, might find himself fired, with no chance ever finding a job again. I have seen Turkish engineers performing improvised, illegal, maintenance, just to meet the departure time, because the boss wouldn't let them get a spare part from another carrier abroad, due to cost reasons.

Jan

Jan