PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of Pilots Shortage...
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2006, 04:00
neville_nobody

Received 153 Likes on 68 Posts
I highly doubt that foreign pilots will be coming to Australia anywhere in the near future to fill commercial jobs. Given that the rest of the world gets by with minimum entry requirements that are basically half to 1/3 of what Australia's are maybe airlines just need to bite the bullet and lower the entry requirements. You can get interviews with regionals in the US with 1000TT and a hundred multi. Whereas in Australia you have to have 2000 TT and 700 Multi + to be considered competitive. (most of them want to see some charter time mixed in there as well) And this is for a job that pays on the whole less than $50 000 a year.
Cunningham I have met people who are highly skilled, multiple degrees always had top office jobs and are now busily undercutting all and sundry get where they want to be. As they are cashed up they can bypass alot of hurdles by just paying. Whilst I agree with your sentiments regard to education, enthusist are not necessarily just limited to those without the education to go anywhere else.

Last edited by neville_nobody; 16th Sep 2006 at 04:11.