PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 2
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 2
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2006, 09:47
30W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going off 33 is fine, you get gravity to help with acceleration, going the other way when it's hot and the wind is only just strong enough to stop you taking 33 you can get a huge drop in payload which would mean any freight booked gets dumped straight away. Eventually the freight goes to other airports that can take it and revenue drops, the economics of the route become questionable, therefore the route gets moved 45 miles up the road. The only way to keep these flights is to lenghten the runway so they can take max payload in any weather.
Actually, R/W15 is quite obstacle limited, that being the primary reason for the lower payload we can lift compare to a R/W33 departure. There are many large trees within the climb out area (other side of the A45) which cause problems to the single engine climb consideration. The airport is actively trying to sort this issue, but it should have been done years ago. I'm sure it won't be a quick resolution, as I believe most are under preservation orders.......

BIA could offer commercial incentives to it's use compare to NEMA, but chooses not to do so. NEMA on the other hand is very active commercially with operators. That includes existing ones, not just new start ups. If they want our long haul business, it's really up to them to go out and get it. BIA do nothing on this front, they seem to think the name 'Birmingham' will sell itself. Their danger is even with a longer R/W (still years away!), then it will only bring them on par with NEMA. Fees are cheaper there, and at that point having successfully, and hapily, run our long haul from there for many seasons, why should we move it to BHX?

I think, sadly, BHX has a good few more years being left further and further behind in the doldrums. Having operated from here for the vast majority of my 23 year flying career to date, it's sad and dissapointing to see.