PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus
Thread: Aer Lingus
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2006, 10:02
TwoDeadDogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi all
I totally support CarbHeat In's assertion that any laid-off cadet should have made some effort to keep his license current during the lay-off period.After all, most of them did, without question, knowing instinctively that to do so upped their odds of getting a fresh start. Given the fact that they had already consumed many thousands of other peoples' money, with no impact on their own pockets, it wouldn't have hurt to cough up a few quid and maintain at least a basic level of currency.After all, I'd expect an interview board to ask them if they had kept up the flying.It shows a distinct lack of motivation.Bear in mind that EI laid off two years worth of apprentice engineers and then had to contract in engineers from Shannon Aerospace to fill the gap.No such recall awaits those luckless apprentices, who ended up, in some cases, having to start all over again with new employers.Some of them gave up aviation.Those cadets who got recalled are having jam on both sides, with a level of union protection that is the envy of the industry.Quite frankly, if an ex-cadet came to me and said that he hadn't flown in five years, I'd show him the door...
regards
TDD