PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Customs wants to 'shoot from choppers'
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2006, 00:22
jetflite

Location: somedays in a helicopter, other days in a fixed-wing....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helopat
See, the problem becomes "can you immobilise a ship EFFECTIVELY with a .50 cal?"...I'm not so sure. I've been there when the navy has fired warning shots...these people are desparate and after crossing from someplace like Africa to Australia, they're not interested in stopping for anything or anybody. In addition, ROE is usually to try to get them to turn back...can't do that if the engine (or the captains head) is blown off...just full of 'bad press' potential.

The discussion of cats fighting back...priceless. I imagine a cat with a sniper rifle...several helicopters carved into the stock...moving stealthly through the bush. You're right,Lord Mount , they're merciless killing machines.

HP
Good point; but you also have to look at it from every angle, ROE is to get them to turn back. so you wouldn't shoot out a vesel's engine if you want them to use it! You would "imobilise" them if you wanted them "imobilised".
Immigrants: You want them to use there engines!
Illegal Fishing: You want to arrest them, easier when they are not moving.
Smugglers: Once agian, arrested, easier when not moving.
It's obvious there are certain situations where a .50 would be useful and others where it isn't. . It's been done elsewhere and it's not a hard to draw up a CLEAR system about when it is and isn't appropriate. You don't always have to shoot to blow a head off, you don't always shoot to kill.

Clearly if they shot a warnig shot at the vesel and blew the guys head off....get someone who can shoot!