PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2006, 05:35
Soundbarviolatr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read in between the lines

Originally Posted by Pascual7E7
So its better for me to continue being a flight instructor here in the US (not even getting paid 20/hr) then to fly overseas after instructing?

Here let's try this scenario. I am a flight instructor who is getting ready to finish my Bachelors degree in Aviation Business Adminisitration in Florida with only two semester left (planning to graduate FAll 07). I have a CFI/CFII Commercial MSEL/AMEL Instrument rating and all that hoo haaa with plenty of time, is it better for me to stick around in the US or fly with a foreign carrier like PAL to build time and experience?

I just can't fathome that building time overseas would be frowned upon here in the US. I understand it is difficult to track and investigate it, but to an airline wouldn't it be more cost beneficial to hire and guy with jet PIC time from an overseas carrier flying a 737 over a guy who does not have any jet time here in the US.

Just wondering

If you have already been flying as a CFI/MEI and have accumulated more than 1500TT and an ATP then go for it -- thats what you should be looking into anyway--advancement.

I think you may have read right through my point -- First, consider the background of the person that initiated this query: brand new Commercial SEL pilot which means he sits around 250 hours TT - You obviously have surpassed that with "plenty of time". Second, the basic stick, rudder, environment and regs - build a good solid foundation that no one can question. You obviously have as you are CFI/MEI, he has not.

It would be frowned upon by most if your experience is full of glitz and glamour of sitting right in jets without a solid foundation. My 5 year old could run checklists, flip switches, yank a handle and babble on the radio, while maintaining the colors within the lines of the pictures on his coloring book. And yes, I have seen and selected a CFII/MEII over the other.

The rest should be obvious.

BTW, FL may very well have a lower CFI pay standard than what I have seen out west. Either way, CFI QOL/pay has dramatically increased in the past 10 years.

You (Pascual) should look into commuters/corporate/charter/cargo/military or even overseas ops. I do not know all and my points are not bullet proof, just a piece of what I have seen work in this industry in one corner of the world. Like anything else in your career, take what you care to and dump the rest.

Last edited by Soundbarviolatr; 13th Sep 2006 at 06:29.