PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2006, 05:48
Soundbarviolatr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Glidepath,

Type Rating: don't waste you money.
-Type rating provided that you pass the course does not do you any good with no time in type. Typically insurance is looking for 300 hours minimum. Anyone in the US that tells you otherwise should be closely looked at -- you do not want the time you log in your logbook to be the death of your career when the feds come back to audit the outfit you fly for. Also, becasue you do not have 2000 TT/400 TIT you will only get an SIC type rating.

- Time building options. If you stay in the US your best bet is to instruct as a CFI or dragging banners. Traffic watch and pipeline flying can be an option after you reach 500 hours which is typically the insurance minimum. Regionals in the US typically require 1500 TT, 300-500 ME. If you have your Bachelors Degree, the US Military has great opportunities, decent pay, the best training, and you get to fly jets and shoot down bad guys.

- Future. Because of your experience level, having the bottom of your logbook structured with Foreign ops will be frowned upon and will be questioned. I can tell you this much: If you were to interview with me with 3000 TT and 2600 SIC JET overseas, you would be beat by someone who has 3000 hours as CFI/MEI back in the states. If you care about the backbone of your knowledge and abilities, stay in the states and earn your way through. If you want a shortcut and start flying like a big boy look for airline operators overseas. Just be cognizant of what complications may arise when you come back.

-Pay. If you work for an outfit like PAL and have bills in US $, you better be prepared to sideline as a gigolo. Just look at what this thread has generated on pay intel. You will be making LESS than a CFI. But hey, at least you will be flying in a jet.

-BTW, unless you will be concentrating on a career in flying Caravans alone, get your CMEL add on.

Clear as mud?

Originally Posted by Glidepath2
Hi! Guys I am new to this forum and this is my first post as well. I am looking for a Flying Job any where around the world. I am a CPL/IR holder FAA & CAA with a single engine rating. Even willing get Multi rating with 100 hour's that make it about 450 total time. I was wondering any gentle man want to help me out for my flying job. I am a US citizen living in New Jersey. I am not intersted in CFI stuff. Is there any other way to get a Job or to build hours. I may go for type rating too if job guaranted.

Saeed Syed
[email protected]

Last edited by Soundbarviolatr; 11th Sep 2006 at 06:01.