PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2006, 01:45
richkidpoorkid

the big macho men blunder of 1998

Originally Posted by Soundbarviolatr
I have heard all sorts of scandals regarding the last big strike at PAL and a group of guys called the seven dwarfs. What I do not understand is why there were only 7 pilots that understood the consequences of a "return to work" order by the Government? Did ALPAP keep the rest of the pilots in the dark? And if these 7 pilots did NOT in fact cross the picket line (because legally there was none) why are they being targeted? Seems unfair to label these guys as scabs just because they are smart enough to know when a strike is legal or illegal. Such a small industry and it would be a shame if their names are not cleared if in fact they did it right.
A lot of pilots were actually forced to go with the bigger group which was so trigger happy on going on strike in 1998. And the smaller group who had doubts actually had a lot of valid questions.

But it was machismo that ruled during those days in 1998.

Macho men were appointed into the strike committee & it was really this group & the scambug lawyer Antonio who decided on going on strike...not the executive committee (VP to equipment reps) which was made up of appointees: in those days no one wanted to take positions in ALPAP because there was this strong feeling of big trouble brewing.

So ALPAP appointed officers & they made a point of appointing pilots who somehow had blood relations with management pilots (they thought that in case the union goes on strike, mgt will not be too hard on their relatives...wrong!!!! it turned out that these mgt pilots were small fries & that the LT & PAL lawyers would be calling the shots...man it caused a lot friction in the pilots' families...a rehush of 1971).

Years later I had a talk with a Filipino lawyer in LA who had knowledge of Antonio's ways.

He said that Antonio decided for the pilots to go on strike (& Soti was so stupid to let her do it) because she thought that LT will not fight back!!! Anywhere in the world, you punch a man a hundred pounds heavier than you & he beats you up!!

And she was banking on a labor arbiter called Reala (who actually sired her a kid) to help her on the case in the NLRC (national labor reconciliatory commission???).

Guess where Reala is now? He was promoted to a higher court & a lot of law practitioners in the PHils see a hand of LT responsible here.

So the pilots lead by Soti actually had the patsy on their side.

So despite having legitimate complaints, the pilots lost everything.

LT likes dealing with macho men (they don't think too much, do they?)...that was his remark on the jailed ex Pres Erap: "I like him because he can easily be fooled (TANga- plain stupid)."

Actually the 7 dwarves are only hated in principle (or in some people's imagination...hating another because they don't have the guts to hate themselves for their big mistake).

They were never put in a list for other airlines to read.

But that was the press release of ALPAP during those days that anyone defying ALPAP's actions would be listed as such...all bark no bite...so much for machismo in a day for me.