PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gentlemen ,Remove those turbans
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2001, 01:45
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadtrip has got it about right, and there is no doubt we are in a war against a great evil. Equally, I feel that CaptA320 has got a compassionate heart and speaks for many who are concerned about what is happening. The whole Middle East issue is incredibly complex and is frankly insoluble. Like many people, I feel very concerned about what is happening and am alarmed at civilian casualties but I fear it may be a tragice price that has to be paid.

As someone who has actually flown a number of operational missions over Iraq during the Gulf War, I know the enormous efforts that were made to avoid civilian causualties. I have no doubt that there is no one who is more alarmed by civilian casualties than the US government. I do not deceive myself that righteousness only exists with the USA (I am a Brit by the way), but when push comes to shove they are our best friends. This was not a conflict of America's choosing but let no one be under any illusions - a sleeping giant has been woken and any supporters of terrorism are going to pay a terrible price. The Americans have been very late in arriving on the field of play against terrorism and that has done them no favours. But they are in the game now in a big way and they have my clear support.