PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2006, 06:23
Soundbarviolatr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spam In A Can

Spam in a can my friend. I, like most of you have been there and appreciated the chance that was given. But I also knew when and where I belong. I am surprised that major airlines that operate that type of equipement have such low requirements -- even the commuters in the states require around 1500 tt with 500-1000 me. I guess its just a different world out there...be that as it may, a Crew position in that capacity has no place for a kid with such limited experience. I have heard of abnormal/emergency situations in cruise that have left some of these SOs mumbling incoherently and rocking back and forth; leaving the jet in a yellow short bus to their happy place while the PF is left flying a heavy jet single pilot. And some fly as FOs?? Do they get to fly live legs too??

We all have seen an effective and experienced Crew and CRM flaw like a well oiled machine in the most demanding of times. And even with a well oiled machine it still does nto guarantee the safe outcome of a situation. I just cannot comprehend how the standards are met by these guys to operate in this type of environment.

[quote=Cessna1052;2834283]
Originally Posted by Soundbarviolatr
What is up with all these junior guys getting seats on heavy jets? An acquaintance at 400 hours TT got hired to fly as a B747 SO??? Are things THAT desperate out there? And some of these pud knockers have the nerve to even mention about upgrading?? WTF Over??? I am all for mentoring and giving the guy his first shot in the industry but whatever happened to building a solid foundation; flight instructing, banner towing or traffic reporting and refining the basics to build a solid foundation to stand on! Half of these guys don't even know how to operate boots on a BE200 or a CE500?? I am no cool hand luke, but at the experience level these guys are coming in with they can barely keep up flying in the soup in a Cessna and they are given a seat in a heavy? SPAM IN CAN=At less than 1,500 hours TT and 300 hours of MEL, you do not have any business being in a jet, much less a heavy that carries hundreds of lives in your hands.

Hi SoundBar,

What to do mate? its been the Airline practice for a long long time. You are only mentioning SOs flying the microphones on the 747s...No harm;i think?! , you'll be shock on what im about to tell you.
National cadets from this airline where i am now flies the A330s as First Officers...FOs. with what? lets say 200hours,a combination of Single engine and Multi. Flying both the Airplane and the Radio...No Harm? i think its pretty dangerous.
BUT what to do? So, i guess we just have to live with it.

Best regards,
C1052