PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO/Conditions of Service 2007 Hot Oil
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2006, 15:22
BScaler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cpdude

The CoS 07 agreement represents the best the AOA GC felt they could get from the Company. Whether it is 'take-it-or-leave-it' is open to debate.

I don't believe so. I think a strong vote against this agreement would send a clear message that the AOA membership is against bringing in lesser CoS for New Joiners, and the more comprehensively this is voted down the better our chances in future negotiations.

The AOA GC would point out the different scenarios;
1. where the Company may simply impose the new CoS anyway, and
2. where the Company may do worse and become belligerent.

My counter to these scenarios would be;
1. that if the Company did simply impose the new CoS on New Joiners, then at least we would have grounds, due to our rejection of CoS 07, to mount a legal challenge to their imposition, and
2. that what I advocate in voting down CoS 07 cannot be construed in any way as industrial action which precipitated the Company's previous harsh reaction. And in any case, I believe the Company genuinely does not wish to go back to the days of the 49ers. Particularly at a time of expansion.

I contend that fear of what may happen if we turn this agreement down should not mandate that we simply vote for it.

The CoS 07 agreement should be seen for what it is - an attempt to bring in lesser CoS for New Joiners to make expansion even more profitable for the Company than it will already be under existing CoS. We should not vote to allow the Company to accomplish this at the expense of our future colleagues and AOA members.