PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T-33 prang at Duxford 6/9 - crew safe
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2006, 22:23
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speculation

It's so unfair when people are so quick to suggest pilot error at a time when no-one except the pilot could possibly know what caused a crash.
Just the sort of speculation for which we condemn journalists.

I feel particularly strongly about it in this instance because the pilot, Alan Walker, has been a good friend for many years.
Not only is he a highly respected aviator and a very experienced display pilot, he is also one of the nicest people on the display circuit. I have never, in all the years we've been friends, heard him say a bad word about anyone.

Another friend of mine was following 20 seconds behind in a stream take-off. He didn't speculate on the cause of the crash, even in a private conversation, saying it could have been a number of things, far too early to say etc - and he's got almost 4000 hours on fast jets.

I'm told the passenger (an engineer) cut his way out through the canopy, jettisoned it from the outside and bravely rescued Alan from the burning aircraft. It was a hard impact and a fire. Those who've seen the wreckage say it's nothing short of a miracle that anyone survived.

Let's just thank God that the two of them not only survived, but without serious injury.

Alan, who is a Captain with Cathay Pacific and regular contributor to this forum, was discharged from hospital today.

Tudor

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 7th Sep 2006 at 22:49.