PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 3
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 3
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2006, 10:12
transwede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to remember a summer season when SFB was served upto 4 times per week from NCL, using the likes of Britannia, Airtours International and Air 2000(all long gone!). Florida will always remain the number one long haul destination, due to its family orientated attractions and I am at a loss as to why NCL is to be left with only one flight per week. I tend to agree with fl dutchman that the loss is down to aircraft availability with MON. I am not convinced TCX will return with their A330 a/c, as the dropped the route as it was proving too costly to position the aircraft to/from NCL. Travelcity Direct were rumoured to be interested in starting a route, using smaller capacity aircraft than their jumbos, maybe a return of XL 767 a/c in the red colour scheme is on the cards. Whatever way, NCL seriously needs an up in capacity to one of its only 3 long haul destinations, otherwise it does deter future long haul expansion. On the same subject why is that SFB flights always leave NCL late? Is it down to the positioning of a/c or the facilities at NCL, i.e groundstaff?

I think its more or less definite that Jet2 will announce further routes for Summer 07, though the likelihood of EZY doing the same is quite slim, judging by their performance this summer. Infact all the cancellations/delays must surely have cost them some passenger confidence.

I think it has been said before, but the likes of Pula, DBV, SPU could maybe sustain a smaller regional jet charter service, it works at BRS with a similar catchment area and market. Or maybe the geordies are just stuck in their habits and like the usual PMI, ALC and AGP.