PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am mad?
Thread: I am mad?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2006, 02:55
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James, while the advice given here is well intentioned the only person who can make the decision whether to go for it is your good self. I've admired the guys like Steve who had spouse and kids to provide for taking on the lottery that is getting a leg up as a professional aviator. And there has been quite a few of them when I think about it, and it says something of the families who supported them during the low pay, poor conditions days of their carreers. Not all make it. One of Steves weekly passengers was a very high houred fixed wing GA corporate pilot (not much money) who's ambition to crack airlines never came to fruition. There was so much competition in his era that he was just unfortunate that though he was eminately qualified his name just never came out of the hat. He finally took up a job in the oil industry in order to provide for the family in a reasonable manner. 747 captains have given up their jobs to move on to something they personally found more rewarding, one I heard of flying helos cattle mustering and another to become a priest. Met a chap a couple of weeks ago who sold out of highly successful IT company to become a professional skydiver earning the princely sum of $45,000 (Oz) a year. You cant win if you dont take a ticket in the lottery, as Whirls intimates money aint everything though it does help. The very best of luck in whatever you decide.

PS Steve - 205 2 pilots, 2 gunners, 13 little Asians