PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am mad?
Thread: I am mad?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2006, 20:25
N Arslow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 41 and just so happy to be where I am. Always looking for better of course, but I know things are good.
When I was looking at a civil aviation career I was at a seminar and a BA B747 Training Captain stood up to address us. His first words (as he stood there in expensive suit and glowing tan) were to tell us not to look at him and expect the same - things would and do change.
So, those of us experienced in the industry cannot have the most pearls of wisdom to pass on to you, James Fleming. Those such as the Whirls' , R1T etc. who are closer to your level will give a more accurate picture of what to expect.
The cynical and the more positive experienced pilots can say how it is today but (with the best will in the world) you are a few years and a lot of cash away from Offshore/HEMS/corporate/police etc. and times change.
Look really carefully - not at a computer screen - but by meeting real people in real jobs and decide carefully. Go around the flying schools and see what it is to be starting out and new; both as a student and as an instructor.
Like I say - I am happy to be where I am - clearly you are less so. Just have realistic expectations for what will be a significant change if you choose to alter heading...