PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue on Blue in Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2006, 20:44
brickhistory

Originally Posted by QFIhawkman
I just wondered why the US forces tend to always "shoot first ask later" (As quoted by an USMC pilot 2 years back.)

I can't remember a RAF pilot once being blamed for a blue on blue incident in my time in (20 years).

My serious question to you is.... Is it anything to do with differing cultures within the 2 countries? Does it have anything to do with the gun culture do you think? I just wonder why I hear so many cockpit conversations along the lines of "Ooh raah, splash that motherf*cker" or "f*ck yeah!"

You won't hear that from a RAF Harrier pilot.
The Marines do have a different ethos. I hope that any of the USMC ppruners will jump in, but in my USAF experience, the Marines gear EVERYTHING they do to supporting their fellow ground pounders. If they hear a call for CAS, they are going to be very motivated to 'git 'r done!'

Regarding the different/'gun' cultures: I don't know. My experience with the UK's social thinking is limited to one visit, some COPE THUNDERS/RED FLAGS, and pprune.

Is it a matter of size? With the RAF being, unfortunately, so small, have you gotten rid of all the British-equivalent of cowboys either through the application/training phase or through professional culling? I don't know.

From the USAF perspective; I have worked with some real idiots. I have also worked with folks who just amaze me with their brains, ability and getting a difficult mission done. Does size or lack therof carry a quality of its own?

I think the latter is accurate. During WWII when the RAF was a tremendous force (and an unbelievable effort on the part of the British people!), I would say you probably had your share of buffoons in cockpits and on the ground. Now the the RAF is a glimmer of that force, does the pressure force out the average?