PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red v Blue - Arrows or Angels
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2006, 19:28
QFIhawkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a serving hawk (instructor) pilot I thought I would throw my hat into the ring........

The reds are superb at what they do, (and as some have, in the past, accused me of malice and indeed jealousy I felt duty bound to make that statement!) and are a great advertisement for the UK.

Are they a great "Recruiting" tool?

No.

Back in the early 80s, I along with a friend of mine were watching the umpteenth air display of the summer as 15 year olds. What were we inspired to join up by? Well for me the Vulcan did the trick. For my friend a pair of combat ready Phantoms rang his bell. When the Reds came along, we were, (sorry hawk mates!) jaded by the repetative, "low voltage" display.

20 odd years on, I'm a hawk instructor, my learned friend is flying for the Civvy Cops on board a helichopper. (After a brief career as a Herc mate!) So the displays did the trick, they recruited us as flyers. But it wasn't thanks to the reds.

Now... Who's the best? The Reds have my admiration for the best, most precise display going. They're (in my opinion) the best display pilots in the world.
The most impressive? The Yanks have it, nothing beats power and noise in a display!

The moral? RAF, change the display aircraft! And if I ever see another wineglass roll, I'll thcweam and thcweam until I'm thick!