PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue on Blue in Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2006, 18:27
QFIhawkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Perhaps we should wait till the investigation is done and see what it reports about the causes before we pass judgement. Effective communication between same nation forces is difficult enough....throw in different national forces and there is one more factor that can adversely affect "effective" communication.

Just through sheer numbers of aircraft committed the US forces should be the leading perpetrator of these events just out of pure statistical odds.
SASless, you are of course right to point out that we MAY be jumping the gun a little, and until the facts are known we may be straying into speculation here. Fair point.
Communication is always difficult between so many fighting arms of so many different countries, and of course by sheer weight of numbers the US guys are going to be in the top percent of "blue on blues" anyway.

You are also right that on the "two way range" (as you so nicely put it!) rounds can go astray.
Rounds did not however go astray in this particular blue on blue. It was a strafing run directed on the Canadians.

I stand by my original point however. Our US cousins do tend to be a little gung ho in the face of battle.

My answer to your above points is this: If you ain't sure, don't press the button.

An advisory note often lost on our American colleagues at times I feel.